Hot chocolate is a beautiful thing. It’s even more wonderful during the holiday season. This recipe is a spicy twist on an old favorite. It’s dairy free of course and tastes fantastic! This recipe calls for Mexican chocolate, but, if you can’t find any at your local grocers, then you might want to try and use good quality dark chocolate. When using regular dark chocolate you will need to add more ground cinnamon, vanilla and also keep in mind that it may not be very sweet. You would have to add some sugar to the recipe to add some sweetness). Best served sitting next to a warm fireplace. Enjoy!
- 4 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chili peppers <strong>-OR-</strong>
- 1 dried ancho chile (found at most major grocery stores) seeds removed and quartered
- 4 ounces Mexican chocolate (like Ibarra, found at Mexican grocery stores) finely chopped or grated
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pinch raw sugar (optional)
- 1 splash vanilla extract (optional)
- Coconut whipped cream (recipe below, optional)
In a small pot heat milk, ground chipotle or ancho chile, and 2 cinnamon sticks over medium heat just before the milk begins to boil. Remove from heat, cover and let it stand for 10 minutes. Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl, strain the milk into the bowl, and whisk to combine all ingredients. Add vanilla and sugar, if using. Pour the hot chocolate in four mugs, add coconut whipped cream, if using (recipe below). Enjoy!
Coconut whipped cream
- 1 can refrigerate full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup
Refrigerate a can of coconut milk (without guar gum as an ingredient) overnight. Take a mixing bowl and place it in the freezer for 5 minutes. Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the hardened coconut cream and place it in a mixing bowl from the freezer (you can use the remaining coconut liquid in smoothies). Whip the cream using a hand or stand mixer until it’s fluffy. Add maple syrup and vanilla extract and gently mix to incorporate. Enjoy!
Co-Founder, Mandala Integrative Medicine