- 1 lb grass-fed strip steak, club steak, delmonico steak, ribeye, T-bone or filet mignon, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric-or other spice of choice
- 1 TB butter or coconut oil
- Remove steak from refrigerator and let sit for at least an hour to come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare everything else for the meal: make a salad, bake potatoes, fry mushrooms in coconut oil, whatever. Heck, even set the table. The steak will be only minutes between cooking and eating, so you will have no time later!
- Preheat a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet in a 500 degree oven.
- Dry steak thoroughly with a kitchen towel or paper towels. Mix pepper, garlic and turmeric in small bowl. Sprinkle over both sides of steak.
- DO NOT SALT! If you salt before cooking, the steak will weep liquid and turn grey instead of browning!
- Place preheated skillet on stove burner over high heat. Put steak in skillet and DO NOT TOUCH FOR ONE MINUTE! Steak will stick at first, after a minute, it will release from the pan.
- Turn released steak with tongs or spatula. Do NOT use a fork, or pierce the steak in any way as you’ll lose juices! Cook on other side for one minute.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. If you want your steak rare, stop cooking now and go to the next step. If you want it medium-rare, return the skillet to the oven for 2 minutes.
- Season steak to taste with unrefined sea salt; add 1 TB butter or coconut oil to skillet and let melt. Baste steak. Plate and pour pan juices over.